Mendip Table Skittles League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mendip Table Skittles League

Forum for Somerset skittlers

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Seeding

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Fred
Admin

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2007-02-06

Seeding Empty
PostSubject: Seeding   Seeding Icon_minitimeSun Feb 18, 2007 2:47 pm

'Next season, the draws for the Individuals, Pairs and Ladies Cups should be seeded at the discretion of the Secretary.' Discuss.

Well I mean, Dave Wedlake v Steve Miles in Round 1 of the Individuals Cup? Bob Wedlake v Dave Wedlake in Round 2? Silly, eh?
Back to top Go down
http://www.mendiptableskittles.co.uk
Neil Devereux

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2007-02-16

Seeding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seeding   Seeding Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2007 6:46 am

It sounds like a nice idea but I think it's more hassle than it's worth. It may be embarrassing for a good player to go out in the first round but there are only six rounds and they'll have had to play someone good sooner or later.

How would you work out the seeding and how would you deal with the arguements about the pecking order? You could base the seeding on previous performace in the cups but I doubt there are records going back very far, if at all. You can't base it on the division ranking for the player's team as skill levels vary within a team - I got to the semi's when I was playing for third division team.

The table the match is to be played on can also be a factor - some people play well / badly on certain tables while a match at The Crown, Axbridge would drag us all down to the same level. How would you factor that in each round?

You only need seeding where athletes are going to play so many matches they could be exhausted by the time they reach the final - I don't think this really applies to us.
Back to top Go down
William Bain

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2007-02-20

Seeding Empty
PostSubject: Seeding   Seeding Icon_minitimeWed Feb 21, 2007 8:10 am

We are all Jock Tampson's bairns.
i.e we are all equal.

No Seeding, A Knockout Cup has the element of the luck of the draw and therfore the exciting possibility of some new names progressing to the final stages.

If there are any players who think they are too good for the rest of us or too good to have to get beaten in the early rounds it might be better if they didn't enter the competitions.

When I took over running the League each team was only allowed ONE entrant in the Individuals and ONE PAIR in the Pairs (ther wasn't a Ladies Cup) The Open to all competitions without seeding are the fairest way to run thee cups.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Seeding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Seeding   Seeding Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Seeding
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mendip Table Skittles League :: Mendip Table Skittles :: Click here to have your say...-
Jump to: